Bed-wetting can be distressing for both the child and the parent. Some children are unable to achieve dryness at night even after being potty trained.
The psychological implication of bed-wetting on older children can results in poor academic performance and behavior. Many of these children suffer physical, verbal and emotional abuse; from adults and even their peers. Remember that girl in boarding school that was consistently teased by her mates and no one wants to be her friend? These abuse has been traced to be the trigger for depression in some teenagers.
As a mom, you probably wonder why your child bed-wets, here are five probable causes for bedwetting
1. Genetics: Bed-wetting (enuresis-medical term) is hereditary, a child has about 30% chance of having enuresis if a parent had it and about 70% when both parents do. Well until the child starts wetting the bed, many spouses probably didn’t know the bedwetting “history”. So mama, keep calm. Also, if none is found in the immediate family, how about that distant cousin that always pees when y’all visit grandma for summer.
2. Physical health conditions: Some physical health condition can make a child. A child with constipation that puts pressure on the bladder can have enuresis. Other physical health condition include: Diabetes, Obstructive sleep apnea, overactive bladder etc.
3. Hormonal Issues: The anti-diuretic hormone also known as the ADH or arginine vasopressin is responsible for water conservation. It is made in the hypothalamus and stored in the pituitary gland…sorry if this is sounding too scientific. But this hormone basically tells the kidney how much water to conserve. Low secretion of this hormone during sleep or at any time can cause enuresis
4. Medications: Is your child on drugs? No ! not druuugs, medications. Some medications can relax the bladder or increase urine production. These drugs are not routine medications for children so few children fall in this category. Also it is noteworthy that caffeine can cause enuresis. These drugs include, Diuretic medications, alpha blockers
5. Psychological distress: Children may not be able to describe their emotional troubles in words but may begin to show signs for psychological distress in academic performance, behavior or regression in already achieved milestones e.g. Bedwetting. Many children who start bed-wetting all of a sudden have psychological distress triggered by abuse, parental death, near death experience, bullying, parental separation, domestic abuse, sudden life transitions among many other adverse childhood experiences.
Then there are unknown causes…the ones no professional can seem to find the cause. But in all cases, these children outgrow the bedwetting and treatment is available.
Do you know that your child can achieve dryness in 7days?
8 thoughts on “BED-WETTING CHRONICLES: MY 12 YEAR OLD SON STILL BED-WETS; I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING”
Owh MA World! Now I know better. So it’s not entitled the child’s fault. Thank you so very much, African mommy
He can actually try reduction of late night meal and water. It might help
This is insightful, bed-wetting is never an easy the g to deal with but with determination it will come to pass when u put in certain measures .
My little brother was bedwetting till 14 years. It was quite embarrassing for him because he was in boarding house. He used to wake up very early to bath and hide his bedsheet. In fact he started praying about it, he eventually stopped bedwetting. Most times its from too much play and overactive life.